|A very graceful faint|
captured by MVision Photography
It can often take several hours while everyone gets ready, plus more time to take pictures...you and your wedding party will need energy to get you through an exciting, and long day. OK...so you know you and your girls need some snacks, but what? The options are endless, but the ideal choices are tasty, nutritious and of course MESS FREE snacks and drinks.
As a makeup artist, I'm with the bride and her bridesmaids all day as they get ready, and I've seen girls snack on everything from bags of chips and beer to a fully catered lunch with waitstaff and champagne..and everything in between! I actually have lots of info to share, on what works...and what doesn't.....
Here are my pro tips for wedding day snack success:
1. Stainmaster - Sounds like common sense, but there should be no red wine, no cupcakes with brightly colored frosting, nothing with sauce. I have seen all of these items spilled onto dresses, chairs and carpeted floors of venues...not worth the risk. Shout Wipes and Tide pens can only do so much (and yes, I do keep both in my kit!) Frosting and hard candy can also temporarily stain teeth and tongues...cute when you're 4, not so cute when you're a grown woman about to get married.
2. Straws are a must - Whatever beverages are being served, provide some fun and colorful straws...even for bottled water. Once makeup is applied and lipstick is on, it's the only way to ensure it stays pristine. (Several retailers sell
3. Bite size everything! Mini-desserts, mini quiches or other similar snacks, mini-sandwiches....anything tiny that can be popped into the mouth in one bite (no plasticware or plates needed) is easy and mess free. Avoid anything that has to be cut or eaten with a fork and knife. Bonus points for goodies on skewers or toothpicks that keep hands clean too!
4. Avoid the dreaded orange dust - If you're a casual, junk food snacker, you know what I'm talking about! Stick to popcorn or tortilla chips....skip the Cheetos, Doritos and similar snacks. That pesky orange dust has a way of getting on EVERYTHING!
5. Classic Standbys - Crackers and pre-cut cheese cubes aren't exactly exciting, but always easy and mess free. String cheese is great too, it can be unwrapped as needed. Bite size carrots and celery. Bite size fruit is good, but avoid anything really juicy, like berries....apple slices are easy and mess proof.
6. Watch out for Kiddos! Less food related, but it's a key point...keep those adorable small children out of the "get ready" room if at all possible. I've seen countless wedding suites laid out with a spread of snacks and all of a sudden, there's a ring bearer or flower girl digging in and food is flying! This means mustard and that danged frosting on chairs (prime for you to sit and get on your gown), or various snacks on the floor that can be slipped on, or wind up on clothing. Have kids snack beforehand in a separate area if possible.
7. Wash your Hands Before Getting Dressed Last tip for mess free snacking? Everyone should wash their hands before getting dressed or helping the bride get dressed, just in case! I once had a maid of honor get blue frosting (blue!) all over the back of the bride's dress....it was on her hand from a recently eaten cupcake and she didn't realize it until it was too late....and on the dress. OOPS!
So, there you have it...an entire post NOT about makeup or beauty....but about stress-free, MESS- free snacking on wedding day! What snacks did you have pre-wedding? Any food disasters you wish you could've avoided? Share in the comments!
Oh, and be sure to check out BRIDES Magazine! They've got everything you need to know about dresses, beauty, and a million other things to help you plan the best wedding possible..including tips like these. They're celebrating 80 years with their gorgeous October issue too!