So, what IS different about having a pro artist apply your makeup on your wedding day? A LOT! In this age of DIY, many of you really want to know exactly what you're getting when you hire a pro versus doing your own or having a friend help out. What are you paying for....what goes into it? When it comes to wedding day makeup, here are just a few reasons why you should hire a pro:
|In My Kit.....|
1. Quality Products - Pro artists have tested products extensively and know what works and what doesn't, and it's definitely not about buying the most expensive or trendy cosmetics, either. I test every potential new product on myself for a month...if it passes the test of no irritation, looks great, performs well, has plenty of pigmentation, lasts all day....then I purchase another one for my kit....I don't care if it costs $5 or $50, it must pass the test. Random and untested stuff doesn't go into pro kits, we can't risk it! Most bridal MUA's use a combination of prestige products, pro brands and drugstore finds that we know perform under pressure.
|Set up and ready for wedding day!|
2. Knowledge - As Pros we know how to blend to get the perfect shade of lipstick, exactly what eye shadow will make your hazel eyes pop and which foundation will look best on your Mom's dry skin. Through education and years of experience, I can look at each woman and know how to enhance her features in the best way possible based on her style, bone structure and face shape....it's what artists do! Your everyday makeup is probably just fine...for EVERYDAY. This isn't just another day at the office...this is your wedding, it's vital that you look your absolute best! You need makeup in the perfect shades for you that has been blended properly, with lashes the right length and shape for your eye shape....and all the
|Vanja D Photography|
3. Technique - This goes along with knowledge, obviously, but it's more about HOW pros apply products versus how you do it at home. You can have top notch products and still get crappy results if they aren't applied the right way! Certain products require a degree of manipulation that few amateurs really understand....which primer to use with certain skin types, choosing brow powder or pomade, which foundation will cover a specific complexion issue, which shimmer powder will produce the look that you've pinned over and over on Pinterest. When to use brushes, when to blend
4. Makeup that LASTS - how many times have you done makeup on yourself...just to look in the mirror at lunch and realize it totally disappeared? This is a common complaint I hear from clients all the time!! Yet another reason why you need to book a pro, because we use primers, sealers and application techniques that result in a long lasting and totally budge-proof look. Staying power like that is very difficult to accomplish on your own, especially when you're talking photos, ceremony, reception....it can be a long day. Something many of us do? When we get pics back from photographers, we skip to the last photos! Personally, I love to see that the makeup still looks good and hasn't faded, and I always check (just like in the example below from Katherine's wedding last year!) Wedding day makeup has to last a minimum of 12 hours, a pro can create the perfect look that lasts from the first kiss to the last dance.
|Tracy Autem Photography|
5. Specialized Customer Service - We KNOW weddings, inside and out. After 20 plus years, I have seen, heard and experienced nearly everything you can imagine on wedding day, and I know how to handle it. Ice storm and bridesmaids are 3 hours late? Been there, done that. Bride getting stressed and needs someone to hand her a cocktail and remind her to breathe? I'll be your bartender/counselor for a few minutes! Bridesmaid needs to be talked into wearing more makeup than just Chapstick?
|Jenny Martell Photography|
6. Photos and Video You'll Love - Last, but definitely not least....photos and video. You've spent thousands on choosing the perfect photographer and videographer....this is NOT the time to scrimp on makeup and hate the results of their hard work!! Ask any wedding vendor, and they'll tell you....bad makeup can ruin the bride's day, but it will also ruin photos and video as well....and poof! There go your memories. It's not easy to craft a makeup look that is equally stunning in person AND in photographs, but a pro does exactly that. You'll look fabulous as your new husband sees you up close, but you'll also look great in the photos and videos too...this is crucial. You'll be so glad you hired a makeup artist every single time you open your wedding album or watch your wedding video!
Well, there you have it....and honestly, there are even more reasons I'm not listing! It's more fun, more luxurious, less stressful....on and on. I've covered a few more reasons to hire professional makeup for not just you, but your entire wedding party in this article , so be sure to check that out too! (Hint...a consistent look makes all the difference!)
So...whether you want to book me or another DFW area artist, or even if you're reading this in
|Lifestyle Portrait Photography|
(Makeup in all photos by Jennifer Trotter of Lip Service Makeup)