|Image - Pinterest|
When Daily Makeover called to ask my opinion, here's what I had to say.....
When NOT to put cosmetics in the fridge:
- Kohl eye pencils ...the ones you use on your inner rims...you want those to be nice and soft, not hard. Ouch!
- Cream or Gel cosmetics like blushes and lipsticks shouldn't go in and out of the fridge....the inconsistent temps and repeated cooling/warming/cooling cycle will lead to condensation and changes in the texture of the product. Gels and creams that are too cold also won't apply or blend well.
- Many people swear by putting nail polish in the fridge, but this can actually make the polish thicker over time,..not good! (Cosmetic manufacturers recommend room temp for nail polish.)
- If your fridge is overstocked with food, especially potential contaminants like raw meats. If you do put products in the fridge anyway, dedicate a separate drawer or even a small tub with a lid. the last thing you'd want for products going on your face is contamination risk from food products, or makeup that smells like leftovers...yuck!
When Fridge storage could be a good idea:
- Eye creams and serums feel great refrigerated! The cold will work especially well in the
- If you live in a really hot area and it's hard to keep your home cool, keeping a few precious items in the fridge might work for you. (We're talking ambient temps indoors above 80 or so)
- If you accidentally melt a lipstick, a few minutes in the fridge will return it to it's normal shape and consistency.
- Lip or Eye pencils - If you want a really sharp point on your lip or eye pencil, a few minutes in the fridge before sharpening will do the trick.
- Organic or homemade cosmetics without preservatives must go in the fridge, but be sure to check expiration because although they will stay fresh longer, they won't stay fresh indefinitely.
My #1 Favorite beauty item to keep in the fridge? My gel eye mask! When you wake up with a puffy face or eyes from allergies or lack of sleep, a few minutes with this cold mask on your face will wake you right on up! Seriously, nothing works better to de-puff and fake a good night's sleep...I learned this trick during the days when I needed to be in FRONT of the camera, theses babies really work. (A gel eye mask is also a great quick fix post nap...read more here....)
Be sure to check out the article with a few of my comments, plus a few from other beauty experts on the topic. I always say, if it works for you, then it's not wrong! When it comes to keeping beauty products in cold storage, it's truly just a matter of opinion. What about you...any beauty products you swear work better when kept in the fridge?